Power Transistor Market Overview
Power transistors are a vital component in consumer electronics. Their use is to improve the performance and functionality of consumer electronics equipment by enhancing power efficiency while reducing size and costs, allowing slimmer, sleeker designs, and introducing new features like high-quality audio.
- They are semiconductors devices commonly employed to amplify weak electrical signals and control their output. They can also serve as switches in various applications that require high power, such as automobiles and the energy & power industries.
- The growing need for power transistors within communication and electronic devices and the growing investment in the fields helps reduce the carbon footprint and increase the efficiency of the apparatus for which they are used.
- According to KOSIS, the total revenues from producing transistors, diodes, and electronic devices for semiconductors in South Korea were USD 5.9 billion in 2021. This figure will be likely to exceed USD 6.26 billion in 2024. Similar trends can be observed throughout the Asia Pacific region, expected to drive the Power Transistor market’s growth over the next few years.
- The power transistors assist in dispersing heat quickly to prevent overheating and reduce the emission of CO2 and electric costs. Due to these advantages, they’re a vital component of many electronic devices. Additionally, the increasing number of people and the rising carbon emissions have fueled the demand for more efficient electronic products.
- The limitations of the operations because of the rules like temperature sensitivity, restrictions on the process beyond the frequency of switching, which is 15 kHz, as well as reverse blocking capabilities and many more, could slow the expansion of the power transistor market over the long term.
- The COVID-19 virus had a devastating impact on the Power transistor market. Semiconductors and Electronics production facilities stopped because of the slowdown and the inability to find workers worldwide. COVID-19 led to a dramatic and long-lasting decrease in manufacturing utilization, travel bans, and closings of manufacturing facilities that resulted in a decline in the expansion of the power transmission sector.
The scope of the Power Transistor Market Report
The power transistors are utilized to regulate and amplify signals. They are made of high-performance semiconductors like silicon and germanium. These transistors can amplify and manage a specific amount of voltage and low-level and high-level voltages.
The Power Transistor Market is segmented by product (Low-Voltage FETs IGBT Modules, RF and Microwave Transistors High Voltage FETs GBT Transistors) By the type (Bipolar Junction Transistor Field Effect Transistor Heterojunction Bipolar Transistor) and by end-users (Consumer Electronics and Communication as well as Technology Automotive manufacturing, and Energy and Power), and by geography.
Breakup by Product:
- Low-Voltage FETs
- IGBT Modules
- RF/ Microwave Transistors
- High Voltage FETs/ High voltage transistors
- IGBT Transistors
Breakup by Type:
- Bipolar Junction Transistor
- Field Effect Transistor
- Heterojunction Bipolar Transistor
Breakup by End-Use:
- Consumer Electronics
- Communication and Technology
- Energy and Power
Breakup by Application:
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends of Power Transistor Market
- Consumer electronics are a central application area of power transistors. The growing popularity of consumer electronics, such as phones, laptops, earphones, wearables, and other portable devices, boosts the Power Transistor market’s growth.
- The introduction of 5G tech has accelerated the number of 5 G-enabled devices that support the use of various foundry nodes. The growing demand for higher quality and more effective consumer electronics semiconductors will increase the demand for power transistors. In the Ericsson Mobility Report, 5G subscriptions for devices that support 5G have increased by 70 million during the initial quarter of 2021. They are expected to grow to 580 million at the close of 2021.
- The increasing demand for high-definition audio, speedy charging, and more efficient electronic designs will encourage the growth of GaN technology. GaN transistors will allow the flexibility needed for the digital age to keep improving.
- 5 G-enabled devices are expected to see a rise in the market over the next few years due to the rising demand and growing demands for data processing. The chip makers for 5G-enabled smartphones will have to deal with the challenge of increasing demand for 5G chips to accommodate the growing demand for devices that support 5G. The growth in semiconductor chips will aid in advancing semiconductor technology and eventually increase the need to use power transistors.
- Because the need for power transistors has been increasing, a shortage of semiconductors has been reported to result in solid demand shortly. In addition, the US Senate proposes the FABS Act to give tax credits to semiconductor companies to increase the fabrication capacity to meet the increasing demand in the automotive and consumer electronics industries.
The Asia Pacific Expected to Witness the Most Growth in the Power Transistor Market
- Asia Pacific Asia Pacific is the fastest-growing region in the global Power Transistor Market due to significant firms, including Toshiba Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, and other companies. China, Japan, Taiwan along with South Korea are some major nations that have a significant market share. The region also provides an enormous market for 5G technology and smartphones.
- There is also an increase in car (especially electric vehicles) investment. For example, GaN systems, a gallium nitride-based power semiconductors producer, signed a multi-year capacity contract with BMW for its GaN power transistors specifically designed to boost the power density and efficiency of vital applications within EVs.
- The increase in the manufacturing of electronic equipment in the region to satisfy the increasing demand for electronic vehicles, consumer electronics, and power and energy is expected to boost expansion in the market for power transistors.
- China is a significant contributor to the market for semiconductors. The rising need for electric automobiles will drive the use of semiconductors in electric vehicles.
- The demand for semiconductors is increasing rapidly within Japan, South Korea, and China compared to other countries in the region because of the constant transfer of various electronic equipment to China. Additionally, one of the five most significant consumer electronics industries worldwide is located in China, which opens up enormous opportunities for adopting semiconductors across the entire region over the estimated time.
The Competitive Landscape of Power Transistor Market
The Power Transistor Market is highly competitive because of significant players like Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc., Champion Microelectronics Corp, Renesas Electronics Corporation, Infineon Technologies AG, Texas Instruments Inc., NXP Semiconductors NV, STMicroelectronics NV, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Linear Integrated Systems Inc. and Toshiba Corporation.
- April 2022, EPC announced the launch of their product EPC2050, a 350 V GaN transistor with the highest RDS(on) at 80 million and a 26-amp continuous output. This small size allows power solutions that take up 10 times less space than similar silicon-based solutions. The EPC2050 application benefits from the speed of switching and small size. The EPC2050 includes 120 V to 150 V control of motors control for medical motors, DC-DC conversion from/to 120 V-160 V for use for aerospace applications, DC-DC solutions that convert 400 V inputs to 12 V 20 V or 48 V outputs, as well as multi-level converters and DC-AC inverters like Totem Pole PFC.
- March 2022 Transphorm, Inc. and TDK-Lambda, a group company of TDK, are increasing their GaN AC-DC PFH500F collection. The line of products includes PFH500F-12 as well as PFH500F 48 in TDK’s 500-watt AC DC power supply. The line uses 72 MO, 8×8 PQFN FETs (TP65H070LDG) from Transphorm. The power transistors’ power density allowed TDK to cool GaN power sources using thin baseplates. The power supply was inline. TDK developed a lighter tightly-contained power module that can support an array of wide-ranging industrial applications that operate in extreme conditions. These applications include custom-designed power supplies that are fanless laser, 5G communications signals, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) power displays, digital signage, and many more.
Major Players of Power Transistor Market
1. Texas Instruments Inc.
2. STMicroelectronics N.V.
3. Toshiba Corporation
4. Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
5. Infineon Technologies AG
6. Fairchild Semiconductor International, Inc. (ON Semiconductor)
7. Champion Microelectronics Corp.
8. Linear Integrated Systems, Inc.
9. NXP Semiconductors N.V.
10. Renesas Electronics Corporation
MWR’s research methodology is based on extensive use of secondary and primary data sources. The research involves the analysis of various aspects impacting the industry, including the policies of the government, the competitive landscape, the market environment and historical data, as well as current developments in the market technological innovation, emerging technologies, and the advancement of technology in related industries, and potential market risks as well as market barriers and issues.
Market Size Estimation of Power Transistor Market
Bottom-up and top-down approaches are employed to verify the size of the Power Transistor Market and to estimate the size of the Power Transistor Market for companies’ regions, regions segment as well as product segments and applications (end users). The market estimates are built on the product’s retail price (excluding discounts offered by the distributor, manufacturer, wholesaler, trader, or).
Partially splits, market shares and breakdown of product segments are calculated based on the weights allocated to each segment based on their usage rate and average sale price. The regional splits of the total product market and sub-segments are determined by the per cent of adoption or use of the particular product within the specific region or country.
Top key players of the Power Transistor Market is determined through secondary data, and the market revenue is determined by secondary and primary approach. Secondary research comprised the study of financial and annual reports of the largest companies. In contrast, primary research involved extensive interviews with opinion makers and experts in the industry like experienced front-line employees, directors, CEOs, and marketing managers.
The market share, percentage splits and Growth Rate, as well as the market structure of the product, are calculated from secondary sources and then verified by primary sources. All potential factors that affect the markets are verified by conducting primary analysis, and then analyzed to obtain the final qualitative and quantitative results.
Market Breakdown, Data and Triangulation
After completing market engineering, including calculations of market statistics, size estimations, forecasting of market breakdown, and data triangulation, a lot of analysis are then conducted to collect details and to confirm the numbers to be verified.
Throughout the entire method of market engineering, top-down and bottom-up methods are were widely used, together with a variety of triangulation techniques for market estimation and forecasting of market trends for the entire market segment and sub-segments . A thorough analysis of quantitative data is also carried out using all the data gathered during the entire market engineering process to present important information throughout the research.
Data Sources of Power Transistor Market
Secondary sources of Power Transistor Market include annual reports, press releases, non-profit organizations and industry associations, government agencies, customs information, and others. This study focuses on extensive use of secondary sources, directories, databases, and directories like Bloomberg Business, Wind Info, Hoovers, Factiva (Dow Jones and Company) and trading ECONOMICS and News Network, Statista, Federal Reserve Economic Data, annual reports, BIS Statistics, ICIS and company house documents CAS (American Chemical Society) and investor presentations along with SEC filings of corporations.
Secondary research are utilized to discover and gather details that could be used for a thorough technological, market-oriented and commercial analysis of the product market. It also helps collecting necessary information on the most prominent companies, market classification and segmentation by market trends from the lowest level, and critical technological and market developments.
For the research process, different sources from both the demand and supply sides are being interviewed to collect quantitative and qualitative information. The primary sources on the supply side comprise companies (and their rivals) and opinion leaders, experts from the industry and research institutes, distributors, traders and dealers, raw material suppliers and producers, etc.
The primary sources for demand-side information of Power Transistor Market are industry experts, such as business leaders, sales and marketing directors, directors of innovation and technology supply chain executives, the market (product buyers) and top executives from a variety of key organizations and companies operating globally.
The primary studies are then conducted to find segments, types of segmentation, price ranges, application of the product important company, raw materials supply and demand downstream as well as the status of the industry and its forecast, and the fundamental market dynamics, such as risk factors, influence factors and opportunities obstacles to market entry, trends in the industry, and the strategies of key players.
COVID-19 impact Analysis of Power Transistor Market
To understand the impact of COVID, we must understand the supply chain of the industry and the value chain. By analysing the supply chain, we understand the bottlenecks affecting the industry’s growth. And by analysing the value chain, we understand what value each component adds to the entire industry. We then try to understand the COVID impact has on the industry by trying to find answers to the following questions:
How many jobs have been lost?
How many people have died due to COVID?
How did the Government respond, and what measures Government has taken to revive a particular industry?
How companies have responded to COVID in the Power Transistor Market ?
What growth rate companies are expecting in the Power Transistor Market ?
We also analyse their annual reports and press releases to understand their strategies post COVID. Then we move towards the primary research part and contact government officials and industry experts such as CEOs, COOs, Directors, VPs, Directors and Managers to understand what impact COVID has had on their businesses and what they are doing to cope with it.
We also try to understand their views regarding other financial aspects, such as recovery and obstacles in achieving pre-COVID growth and when they expect to achieve it.
Finally, after gathering the info from secondary and primary research, we try to form a model through which we gauge the COVID impact on a particular industry. ( Power Transistor Market )